HackBeanpot 2021 Concept Development
Role:Social & Outreach Designer
Project: HackBeanpot 2021
Tools: Figma, Google Drive, Slack, Trello, Zoom
Duration: April 2020 - March 2021
- Core members have different interpretations of HackBeanpot
- HackBeanpot traditionally has a theme, so we need to come up with an original concept
Since this was my first time contributing to a long-term hackathon event management project, I never had to think about the scope beyond the hacker experience before. Additionally, this is the first time HackBean Core had to organize a virtual hackathon in a completely virtual space during a pandemic.
Before the Design team could start brainstorming theme ideas for HackBeanpot 2021, we had to first run through our brand strategy and our "bean voice" (our brand voice).
Team Branding Activities
Styling Our Brand
As a result...
Brand Development Accomplishments
- Set brand voice guidelines
- Defined HackBeanpot's persona
- Developed user personas for Hackers, Collaborators, Judges, and Sponsors
Design Team Accomplishments
- Participated in brainstorming sessions and feedback activities
- Created a successful design system
- Utilized versatile design components available on figma
Having prior experience organizing and volunteering for affinity clubs and art pop ups definitely made this learning curve easier.
As a collective, we needed to come up with a hackathon theme that focuses on promoting positive learning experiences in the Tech space without excluding fields like Design or Project Management. Working with everyone was an amazing opportunity that helped me grow as a Designer, organizer, and student. It certainly wasn't easy building a virtual event for 300+ people!